Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Berlin Marathon - September 26, 2010




Berlin, Germany

Monday, September 27, 2010

6:30am


I was awake at 5:20am. Couldn’t go back to sleep. Too much Israeli wine last night, I guess. Couldn’t stay in bed any longer, so I decided to come down to the cafe here in my hotel in Berlin and have some coffee while I ponder over yesterday.

The city is awake.

The sun is rising gently.

Light pop music floats through the empty cafe.

I can see through the glass windows and door, from where I sit and type this, raindrops falling on the wet, glistening street. It is cold here Berlin, at least, cold for me. I am told this is typical weather for Berlin at this time of the year - wet, cold and dreary.


As I sit and ponder over yesterday, images in snapshots burst in my mind.

Pouring rain, Kika and Thomas on the other side of the barricades, holding my hands to keep them warm;

a runner dragging his feet at the 20 kilometer sign with his face red and twisted in agony;

passing by an 82-year old woman runner on the course and heaving a sigh of relief that I am ahead of her(!);

the roar of cheering crowds on the course, the happy, excited faces, the energy and enthusiasm in their bodies as they danced, sang and encouraged us to keep going;

the sound of falling rain drops on my cap, my soaking wet body;

the puddles on the streets we tried but failed to avoid;

the candles in my room, gifts and balloons littered all over my bed, the flowing wine.....

each image is sublime and unique, rendering the entire experience to be unforgettable.


I wanted to run the Berlin Marathon for the last 3 years. I had heard about it as one of the premier races in Europe. It finally happened this year. September was a busy month - athletically. The Budapest Half Marathon (September 5th), followed by the Toughman Half Ironman (September 12th) and 2 weeks later, the Berlin Marathon. When I mulled over my schedule for September a few months ago, it was with trepidation. How will I manage all of my commitments in one month?, I agonized over the thought. But, one by one, it happened and all three races are behind me now. I am both relieved and satisfied.


I arrived here in Berlin on Saturday morning. The weather was grey, gloomy and wet. The hotel is lovely, the staff very friendly and the ambience eclectic, warm and somewhat bohemian. My dear friend Kika (she is more family, than a friend to me) from Tel Aviv had arrived here a day earlier and she met up with her friend Thomas, who arrived from Oldenburg, Germany. They were here to support and cheer me at the race. Frankly, their presence at the race was the highlight of the event for me. As an athlete, there is nothing more gratifying and uplifting than the support of friends while racing. We went to the Race Expo to fetch the “race packet” and dined at a delightful vegan restaurant called “Yellow Sunshine”.


I opened the window on Sunday at 5:30am and heard rainfall. It was chilly and very wet. I am most comfortable running in warm or hot weather. Sweating does not bother me at all. Heat is always welcomed, icy winds are not. I met Kika and Thomas at the U-Bahn (subway) stop nearest to the Tiergarten, which was the site of the start and finish of the marathon.


A collateral gain of the Toughman Triathlon two weeks ago was a fractured middle toe which had caused some anxious moments for me. My podiatrist and chiropractor advised against running and recommended nursing the toe but, opting out of the Berlin race was not an option for me. I had salivated over the delicious idea for several months now and what made it really special was that it coincided with my birthday. I decided to run the race as my birthday gift to me. What a great way to celebrate a birthday, I fantasized. Wake up early in the morning in a new, unfamiliar city, run 26.2 miles (42.125 kms) with 41,000 other runners who share and relish this "madness", send your body tumbling into a state of shock, render the hips, ankles and knees crackling in pain.....all for a finisher’s medal with my birthday inscribed on it. I figured, it was all worth it. I did my best to nurse the fractured toe but did not allow it to influence me to reconsider my steadfast determination to run the Berlin race.


I was on the other side of the barricades. Kika and Thomas held my hand in their’s to keep it warm. Rain fell rapidly from the skies above. Green balloons floated in the firmament. The air was thick with euphoria, excitement and anticipation. I stood in the corral of the slowest runners at the back of the pack. We began running. One foot in front of the other. An exercise that was repeated for 4 hours and 45 minutes until I crossed the finish line. The course was flat. The weather was awful. The spirit was alive and kicking. When it got tough during the race, I thought of my dear friend Michelle and her struggle with Lyme disease. Michelle’s Herculean fight and fortitude is an inspiration. Lately I think of her while racing and derive strength and determination. Thank you, Michelle.


There is that singular thought which keeps you going - with every step, you get closer to your goal.

Stopping in your strides is not an option.

Looking back is not an option. We all want options in life but, sometimes it is good not to have any.

You can move forward, only.

Ideal for a marathon, perfect for life.



2 comments:

  1. A run with something beyond fortitude. Someday, your fractured toe will forgive you! Move forward, only, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, Starbuck, thank you! ;-)

    ReplyDelete